At the Department of Game Design we are conducting research and educating students in game design and related subjects, such as expression in convergent media, programming and project management.
Our aim is to deepen the understanding of games, game design and gaming. National and international collaborations with the games industry and other higher education providers are important to us and raises the quality of our work.
There are about 30 staff at the Department and each year nearly 400 students study here.
- Ritual: The Importance of Framing Transformational Experiences 2023-09-06
- Introducing the Master's in Transformative Game Design (60 cr.) 2023-09-06
- Three Teams Nominated at Swedish Game Awards 2023-08-31
- Nordic DiGRA (Digital Game Research Association) 2023-04-26
- Presentation at GDC in San Francisco 2023-04-20
- Transformative Game Design: Freestanding Graduate Courses and Certificate 2023-2024 2023-02-08
- Lecture: "Playing with Perspective: Metareflection and Immersion in Embodied Role-playing” by Hilda Levin 2023-01-25
- Event: "Forgotten Gems: Early Role-playing Game Theory" by J. Tuomas Harviainen 2023-01-03
- Event: Restorying Trans Game Studies: Playing with Memory, Fiction, and Magic for Transformative Identity Work 2022-11-07
- SkillMill is presented in international conferences 2022-09-22
- Transformative Play Initiative Seminar 2022: Program and Registration 2022-06-23
- Game Design at Almedalen Week 2022-06-15
- Co-creation of a Serious Game About Radiotherapy 2022-06-10
- Transformative Play Initiative Roundtable -- Spring 2022 2022-05-05
- Event: Town Hall / Spring 2022 2022-04-13
- Call for Papers: Transformative Play Initiative Seminar 2022 2022-03-21
- “To Play or Not to Play: Edu-Larp in Curricular Settings" by Katrin Geneuss 2022-03-17
- Event: "Journey into Fear: Horror as a Vehicle for Healing and Transformative Play" by Yeonsoo Julian Kim 2022-03-17
- Event: "Beyond the Couch: Psychotherapy and Live Action Role-playing” by Elektra Diakolambrianou 2022-02-16
- Coming in 2022-2023: Freestanding Graduate Courses and Certificate in Transformative Game Design 2022-02-11
- Event: "Innovating for Growth: Designing a Culture of Safety in Games" by John Stavropoulos 2022-01-30
- Event: "Designing Intensity: A Case Study of an Extraordinary 24h Scenario Session” by Lauri Lukka 2022-01-18
- Alumni Days December 9-10 2021-12-03
The GAME blog
To find out more about events we organise and participate in, and to see examples of student projects and games, visit the GAME blog.
Since autumn 2016, we welcome students from all over the world to Campus Gotland to one of our International Bachelor's programmes, which are taught entirely in English.
The programmes all have Game Design as their major subject area, in combination with a minor subject area in either Graphics, Programming or Project Management.
We also offer Master's programmes in Game Design.